Small Step: Check Out a Mental Health Matters Podcast
While you should definitely focus on one thing only when it comes to new, difficult, or dangerous tasks, you likely do many rote activities every day which don’t demand your full attention. A great way to shake up some of the more mundane tasks of your day (like folding laundry or doing the dishes) and boost your mental health is by introducing a new activity that you can accomplish simultaneously — through an act of healthy multitasking. Listening to a podcast is an easy way to do this.
The Mental Health Matters podcast, presented by Portico’s well-being partner, The Big Know, offers practical strategies for improving your mental health. Acclaimed author, psychologist, and speaker Dr. Elisha Goldstein talks with some of the world’s leading experts on topics such as:
- The effects of stress and how viewing it in a more positive light may have benefits
- The ways grief evolves and affects our lives, including the ability to feel pain as it directly correlates to our capacity to feel love
- The benefits of resilience and simple practices for making it our default way of thinking
- The role of parents’ expectations on their kids’ mental well-being and ways to help kids manage stress in unsettled times
- The many benefits of happiness and how true happiness is not about what you own but how you live
Pick an episode that speaks to an issue you may be grappling with, and listen while making dinner, commuting, working out, getting ready in the morning, or any other time you find in your day when you can safely multitask. See if listening to a fresh perspective in the background can help to revitalize your routine moments, and in turn, your mental health.
Tip: For easy access from your phone, open Mental Health Matters using the button below. Tap the share image (Apple) or menu (Android) icon. Select “Add to Home Screen,” and enter a name for the shortcut, such as “Mental Health Matters Podcast.” A new icon that takes you right to the podcast will be added to your phone’s home screen.Pick a Podcast